You don’t need to be a Booker Prize laureate to make your own curriculum vitae. Learn how to write a CV highlighting your qualifications using this guide in a matter of minutes.
You’ve found a service-worthy police officer CV sample.
Why would the chief hire you?
There are 100 other cadets and seasoned pros out there cruising for this job.
Don’t fret. To get the interview, just show the right law enforcement achievements the right way.
In this guide:
- A police officer CV sample better than most.
- How to write a police officer CV that clears you for hiring.
- How to craft a police officer job description that fits the description.
- Why you can’t just list police officer skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 21 CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Do you need something other than a CV for police officer jobs? See our guides:
- Security Guard CV Sample & Guide
- Firefighter CV Sample & Guide
- Federal CV Sample & Guide
- Military to Civilian CV Sample & Guide
- Career Change CV Sample & Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Samples.
Police Officer CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Community-minded police officer with 4+ years of experience promoting public safety and preventing crime in an urban environment. Seeking to enforce laws as a peace officer at the Kelton Police Department. At SSPD, wrote request facilitating £60K in new vehicle funding and logged 15% more traffic citations than average.
South Side Police Department, Cleveland, OH
- Investigated 500+ crimes, obtaining evidence and convictions in 88%.
- Stayed calm and made quick decisions when facing active shooters, swiftwater events, structure fires, and other emergencies.
- Outperformed other officers by 15% in DUI arrests & convictions, traffic citations, and drug abuse and possession arrests.
- Worked with town council to create community outreach program that resulted in 30% higher favorability ratings for department.
- Collaborated with 3 other officers to create department's drone program.
- Facilitated budget proposal that resulted in award of £60K in funding for new vehicles, despite record town budget shortfalls.
Elkington Hotel, Cleveland, OH
- Monitored a 1,000+ room hotel, identifying threats, resolving conflicts, and escalating larger issues to law enforcement.
- Collaborated with local law enforcement to cut break-ins 50%.
- Wrote daily reports for all activity and incidents.
OPOTC Certified Peace Officer
Apollo Basic Police Academy
- Relevant coursework: firearms training, high speed pursuit, criminal investigations, sexual assault, sobriety test procedure.
- Excelled in firearms training and documentation.
- Commended by instructors for traffic accident handling skills.
- 2019 — EMT-B Certification
- 2018 — Swiftwater Rescue II
- Member, Fraternal Order of Police of Ohio, Inc.
- Volunteer security guard at 5 music festivals per year.
- Annual attendee, Cleveland Gun Show.
- Weekly CrossFit for fitness and self-care.
Hard Skills: legal knowledge, weapons training, police procedure, documentation
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, leadership, communication, conflict resolution
Here’s how to write a police officer CV that gets you on the force:
1. Use a Clear Police Officer CV Format
Your CV format is sloppy. To the chief, that’s as bad as stains on a uniform.
Let’s fix that.
For a police officer CV that passes the glance test—
Use these tips:
Police Officer CV Format
- Create a single-page CV unless you’ve got so much experience you’re basically Columbo.
- Set 1-inch margins.
- Use an 11–14pt CV font like Century Gothic or Arial.
- Don’t skimp on the white space.
- Write CV sections for Heading, Summary, Work Experience, Education, and Skills.
- List your jobs in reverse-chronological CV format.
- Make a PDF CV so your best features don’t go MIA.
2. Create a Police Officer CV Objective or Summary
The chief won’t read your police officer CV.
He’ll skim it.
But you can make him read yours like Hank Schrader wrote it. How?
- An adjective (community-minded, dedicated)
- “Police officer”
- Years of experience (1+, 4+)
- How/who you’ll help (enforce laws as a peace officer at the Kelton PD)
- Best CV accomplishments(logged 15% more traffic citations)
See these police officer CV examples:
Police Officer CV Summary—Example
The last of those police officer CV samples is just a skills list. The first shows you reached police officer goals.
That’s probable cause for hiring you.
“But my police officer experience is still in training!”
That’s when you need to list transferable skills from non-law-enforcement jobs.
See these entry-level CV samples for police officer jobs:
Entry-Level Police Officer CV Objective
The second of those new police officer CV examples with no experience is hearsay.
The first shows on-the-job skills.
3. Target Your Police Officer Job Description and Skills Sections
What skills should you put in a police officer CV?
See these CV skills:
Police Officer Skills for CVs
Crime Scene Preservation
Traffic Citations and DUI
Don’t jam all of them into a CV for police officer jobs. That’s dubious.
These police officer CV samples show how:
Let’s say the job wants skills in investigation, patrolling, DUI arrests, and emergency response.
Police Officer Job Description for a CV [Sample]
Look at that.
The second of those police officer CV examples is just a police officer job description.
The first adds 20 square-mile, 15%, 30%, and other details that prove your skills.
What if your police officer experience is still in the locker room?
An entry-level CV needs police officer skills from other jobs.
See these entry-level police officer CV examples with no experience. They’re for a job that wants skills in patrolling, collaboration, and writing reports.
Entry-Level Police Officer CV Job Description [Sample]
That last police officer CV is criminal. It doesn’t show the asked-for law enforcement skills!
But even if you worked in an unrelated field, you can prove skills like communication and problem solving.
Expert Hint: A study in the journal Policing shows high stress levels are a significant threat to police officer health. If you engage in self-care like working out or running, list it in your CV for police officer jobs.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Write a Skills-Heavy Education Section
What should a CV education section look like for police officer jobs?
It should list your academy’s name and date. But—
It should also show training and achievements.
See this police officer CV sample:
Police Officer CV Example—Education
You showed police officer skills in your education section.
5. Add Special Sections to Your Police Officer CV
Your application needs to shine like a new badge.
But your education and experience sections can’t do it all.
So—show extra skills with special sections in a CV for police officer jobs.
You can list:
- Certifications (EMT, Swiftwater, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Union membership
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
See these police officer CV examples:
Police Officer CV—Other Sections
The first of those police officer CV samples shows you dig into your work. The second would be better with details.
For instance—what did you achieve in sport fishing? Did you win tournaments? Lead outings? Grow membership in a group?
You can show peace officer skills with any pursuit.
Expert Hint: Create a cover letter for your CV for police officer jobs. A cover letter should prove you care about the department, and show highlights of your history with evidence you’re a great pick.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Some cover letter examples that may be useful to you:
Here’s how to write a police officer CV:
- Choose a good police officer CV template. Load in your best police officer accomplishments.
- Add police officer skills like patrolling and search and seizure. Use details and numbers to give a picture of your skill level.
- Create a police officer CV objective as a rundown of your best attributes.
- Add special CV sections to show union membership or fitness efforts.
- Write a cover for police officer jobs.
Got questions on how to write good CVs for police officer jobs? Not sure how to put police officer duties on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!