Your vocation is to diagnose and alleviate suffering. Let’s heal your doctor CV of any pathologies and give your career a prognosis of success.
Looking for a legal job is awful. You hunt and apply, and hear the silence of an empty courtroom.
Plus, you feel like your law CV is vanishing without being read.
That feeling is probably true.
Hiring managers skim CVs. They don’t read them carefully.
Your wonderful legal skills are probably being disregarded.
Break precedent with a great law firm CV.
With the right law firm accomplishments, you’ll shine like Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
In this guide:
- A legal CV sample better than most.
- How to write a legal CV that gets you hired.
- How to customise your legal job description for CVs.
- Why you can’t just list legal skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Need a certain kind of law CV? See our guides:
Thinking about law school? You know you can do it. See our guide: Law School CV Sample & Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Examples for Any Job.
Legal CV Template You Can Copy and Use
Expert legal assistant with 3 years of experience finding efficiencies in law offices. Seeking to deliver time savings at Chelton & Zanahoria. Wrote 200+ legal documents at Michaud & Love with 99.9% accuracy. Saved 6+ hours a week with filing skills.
- 2019 — Paralegal — NALA
- 2018 — Notary
Michaud & Love, Las Vegas, NV
- Answered 60+ client calls each week for attorneys. Saved time for partners by answering client questions and solving minor issues.
- Created attorney billing statements. Achieved a 10% increase in billable hours, enabling a 15% revenue boost.
- Filed physical and digital records and documents. Created new physical filing system that saved 6+ office hours per week.
- Wrote 200+ legal documents, 99.9% error-free.
- Used Clio to manage documents for 600+ clients.
Michaud & Love, Las Vegas, NV
- Scheduled 1,700+ appointments and meetings with clients.
- Proofread 25+ legal documents a week with 98% accuracy.
- Answered 15+ phone calls each day.
- Performed 30 trademark searches.
Paralegal Studies, Post Baccalaureate Certificate
University of Southern Nevada
- Excelled in writing legal documents.
- Recognised by professors for research skills.
BA, Liberal Arts
University of Nevada, Reno
- Pursued a passion for writing.
- Awarded Daisy N. Roark Scholarship for research excellence.
- Member, NALA.
- Deliver 2x per month for Meals on Wheels.
- Daily cycling for fitness and self-care.
Hard Skills: legal document writing, billing, research, docketing, scheduling
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, written communication, efficiency, time management
Here’s how to write a legal CV that changes lives:
1. Use a Trusted Legal CV Format
How can you look your best?
You don’t want to write a legal CV that makes the wrong impression.
You can believe your CV format is a big part of your case.
Use the reverse-chronological layout to acquit yourself in style.
Then follow these tips:
Legal CV Format
- Choose 1-inch CV margins on all sides of your CV.
- Pick a common CV font like 10–12pt Arial or Garamond.
- What should a CV look like? Create CV sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Use white space for readability.
- Keep your CV length short at one page unless you’ve got 7+ years of legal experience. Only then a two-page CV is fine.
- Create a PDF CV. They don’t turn delinquent once you send them.
Expert Hint: Legal assistants average £57,000 a year. Paralegals earn £74,000. You can get an associate’s degree in paralegal studies for as little as £3,000 in 15 months. The smart money? Work as a legal assistant or legal secretary while you get your paralegal degree online. Then move your law CV up to higher pay.
2. Write a Legal CV Summary or Objective
You write the best law CV in the pile. But—
The partner doesn’t read it because she’s got 200 more.
Don’t let her do that.
See these legal CV examples:
Legal CV Summary Examples
Those CV profiles all include:
- An adjective (driven, certified)
- The legal job title from the online ad
- Years of experience (2+, 4+)
- How and who you’ll help (save time at Beckstead & Passalaqua)
- Best legal moments (97% client satisfaction rate...)
What if you’re still drying the ink on your legal degree?
Shake off the fear.
See these entry-level legal CV samples:
Entry-Level Legal CV Objective
See what they did?
3. Write a Specific Legal Job Description and Skills Section
You know what’s hard?
You sit down to write a legal CV...
It’s a piece of paper. It’s supposed to prove they should hire you.
That’s enough to make you jump bail.
But here’s the good news. Hand-pick moments from your past that fit this legal job, and you’ll look like Elle Woods.
Then, target your CV with them.
See these legal CV samples:
Legal Job Descriptions for a CV [Sample]
The job wants someone skilled in answering calls, billing, filing, and legal writing.
That binds you to the job.
This job wants a lawyer skilled in managing case files and mediations.
Do it like those legal CV examples and you’ll seem like Atticus Finch.
But hold on—
What if you’re writing a law firm CV with no experience?
Work that same magic with skills that slot into the job.
See these law CV examples with no experience:
Entry-Level Legal CV Job Description [Sample]
Say the job needs scheduling, proofreading, and answering phones.
Law School Application
Say you were a marketing specialist. Well, you know law school students need skills in research, presentation, and collaboration.
See, this example uses power words instead of simply listing job duties. That’s Jones-Day-worthy.
Now you know—your legal CV skills must come from the job ad.
Need a few skills to get you started? Take a look:
Legal Skills for CVs
- Legal document writing
- Legal research
- Writing briefs
- Client counselling
- Office administration
- Writing reports
- Settlement knowledge
- Litigation assistance
- Legal writing
- Correspondence writing
- Legal terminology
- Legal procedure
- Writing briefs
- Product law
- Healthcare law
- Client advocacy
- Corporate law
- Client management
Law School Applicant and Transferable Skills (Soft Skills)
- Interpersonal skills
- Computer skills
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Active listening
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Enhance Your Education Section
Your education section is no joke in a legal CV.
But did you know—
It needs to sell a few more of your skills.
These legal CV samples show how:
Legal CV Example—Education
5. Increase the Value of Your Legal CV
You’ve come so far.
Don’t blow it by giving up before you’re done.
Your legal CV can wow them like Marshall Eriksen. If—
You pack it with incontestable proof.
Include certifications, publications, and other bonus items.
Here’s a full list:
- Associations (NLA, ABA, NALA, ASAP)
- Certifications (Bar association membership, CP, etc.)
- Volunteering and pro bono work
- Freelance projects
- Additional activities
- Sports & fitness
See these legal CV examples:
Law CV—Extra Sections
Why do those legal CV samples work? They show added competencies you can’t get from work experience.
Expert Hint: Writing a cover letter for your CV for legal jobs will boost your odds. The chance they’ll read it is 50/50, but if you don’t write one and they want it, you’re sunk.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a legal CV:
- Start with our legal CV template. Add high moments from your legal career.
- List legal skills like research or trial prep. Use numbers to prove you’re Watchell-Lipton-level.
- Write a legal CV profile. Craft it into a snapshot of your legal skills, experience, and certifications.
- Add “extra” sections to show you know a tort from a cream pie.
Got questions on how to write good CVs for legal jobs? Not sure how to put legal experience on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!