Your vocation is to diagnose and alleviate suffering. Let’s heal your doctor CV of any pathologies and give your career a prognosis of success.
Abstract: Entry-level mechanical engineers work in almost every industry, from biotechnology and computers to food products. The purpose of your entry-level mechanical engineer CV is to show you possess a set of technical skills, are familiar with software packages, and have the ability to learn new software quickly.
You have to learn to walk before you can run. The first robot wasn’t a Boston Dynamics super-electro-deer that can open doors and recover from a push kick.
The first humanoid robot, WABOT-1 had the intelligence of a 1.5-year-old child. Apparently, dogs have the mental capacity of a 2-2.5 year old. The first humanoid robot was dumber than a dog.
Something to keep in mind next year, when your entrails are being devoured by the first bio-friendly robot that can run on organic matter while it’s simultaneously uploading your memory of every person you ever saw naked to the cloud.
The point is (yes, there is one coming): Everyone starts somewhere. You start here. With this guide, you will get your first entry level mechanical engineering job. However, it may be the case that senior engineers treat you as if you had the intelligence of a 1.5 year old child.
In this guide:
- Entry-level mechanical engineering CV examples that solve the employer’s problem.
- How to best list your projects, work experience, internships and education for engineer internships and entry level jobs.
- Expert hints to write the best possible job description.
Here’s a sample CV for entry level mechanical engineering that breaks ground.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
In need of a more advanced CV? Check out our specialist engineering CV guides:
- Electrical Engineering CV Examples
- Engineering CV Examples
- Internship CV Examples
- Mechanical Engineer CV Examples
- Civil Engineer CV Examples
- Technical CV Examples
- Software Engineer CV Examples
- University Graduate CV Examples
- University Student CV Examples
- Student CV Examples
- Good CV Examples for All Jobs
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Anne E. Smith
3912 Tennessee Avenue
Southfield, MI 48075
A 4.0 GPA Mechanical Engineering graduate from the University of Maryland, Dean’s List student. The founder of the Female Engineers Society at UoM with 37 members. Under my lead, FES constructed 250+ Arduino-based Ventilators for Covid-19 to supply local hospitals and clinics. Awarded the Robotics Institute Commendation for the best graduation project at UoM—Oxygen Concentrator Generator For Covid-19. Vice-President of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) organising monthly speaker series. Seeking to apply my initiative to an employer with enough resources to allow me to develop as fast as possible.
BS in Mechanical Engineering, 2016-2020
University of Maryland, University Park, Maryland
- Dean’s List every semester
- Vice-President of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Exceptional Scholar Internship 2018 & 2019
- Female Engineers Society Founder (37 members)
Mechanical Engineer Intern
PRC Fabrication, Charlotte
- Collaborated with a team of 6 mechanical engineers with 15+ years of experience.
- Participated in 2 commercial manufacturing projects with a total budget of £7M.
- Conceptualised, designed and tested 13+ models of parts using AutoCAD, automated CNC, and 3D printers.
Oxygen Concentrator Generator For Covid-19, June 2020 (Graduation Project)
- Atmega 328p Microcontroller powered oxygen generator that captures oxygen from atmospheric air by using pneumatic pressure with zeolite vessels.
- Constant monitoring for leakage as high oxygen concentration may lead to combustion. Buzzer and auto shut off implemented on leakage.
Ventilator for Covid-19 (254 units to date), March 2020-present
- Arduino Uno powered ventilator that can deliver 10-30 breaths per minute, adjustable in increments of 2, with adjustable air volume.
- Silicon ventilator bag with DC motor side push mechanisms that compress the bag. Implemented blood oxygen and pressure sensors to monitor patient vitals.
- I designed, optimised and scaled the assembly process which resulted in the Female Engineers Society members being able to assemble and test one in less than 1 hour.
- Arduino Uno
- Raspberry Pi
- Autodesk Inventor
- German (advanced)
- Dutch (fluent)
- Portuguese (basic)
Following this blueprint sets you up for success. Now to draw up your own plans:
1. Use a Professional CV Format
When the iPhone came out, it was already outdated. The same technology had already been used elsewhere. But it was sleek, wasn’t it? Presentation can be everything, and that’s why you need to nail your CV style.
The blueprint is very straight forward:
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering CV Format
- Always use the chronological CV format.
- Choose legible CV fonts, like Arial, Calibri or Tahoma.
- Set 1-inch CV margins, and leave white space between section
- 1-page CVs are enough for junior positions.
- CV outline: CV Header, Objective, Education, Experience and “Additional.”
- CV layout: Choose a simple CV template for enhanced readability.
- Save your CV as a PDFto protect formatting, unless instructed otherwise.
If you’re familiar with the tool, you can use LaTex CV templates. Make sure they’re ATS-compliant, though.
Let’s get the wrench out!
2. Write an Entry Level Mechanical Engineering CV Objective
Your CV will no doubt be a pretty long list of different miscellaneous things you did. Some will catch the eye of one employer, others will suit another’s taste. This is why your CV profile needs to be adjusted for each employer. 7.4 seconds of attention is all you’re getting.
Tailor your CV for each application, and in your profile, focus on 2-3 things that are most important to this particular employer. Back them up with numbers and metrics. Just before that, tell them where you graduated from and with what distinctions.
Wrap everything up by stating your motivation to learn, grow, develop, and become the Intergalactic Captain that will take on Elon Musk in a flamethrower duel for the control of Saturn and the surrounding areas. That will make your profile a CV objective statement.
Writing your CV objective comes much easier after you have finished all the other sections.
3. Write a (Not So) Entry-Level Mechanical Engineering Job Description
If you have work experience or internships under your belt, list the most recent one with 5-10 bullet points, again focusing on achievements, metrics and results, as well as what you learned. For position older than your most recent one, limit yourself to 3 bullet points. Use CV power words such as updated, executed, streamlined to show your impact.
If you don’t have any professional experience whatsoever, skip this section and write about your education instead.
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering Job Description
When writing a CV with no experience, it’s important to introduce a CV skills section. Focus on the tools, software and technologies you can use. Add a few soft skills too as they are getting more and more important.
If you are really scarce in experience, add a sentence or two of elaboration to each skill on how you acquired it.
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering Skills for CV
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Autodesk Inventor
- BIM 360 Glue
- Bluebeam Revu
- Creo Pro/E
- Google SketchUp
- Lean Manufacturing
- Workflow Development
- Effective Communication
- Interpersonal Skills
- Analytical Skills
Expert Hint: Need to show an ability to develop holistic solutions and work in multidisciplinary teams? See Design For America for events, courses and ideas. Putting these projects, achievements and awards on your CV will boost your chances.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Load Your Education Section
I bet when you first were introduced to Thermodynamics, you didn’t think you would actually get this degree. You’re here, so list your degree and graduation date. Below, list your GPA, and then school name.
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering CV Sample—Education
Since this education section is a big part of all you’ve got, start with an Achievement section. Then, understand the role you’re applying for, and choose your most relevant modules to list in the Relevant Coursework section.
Expert Hint: If you are writing a CV with no experience, you can add scholarships to your CV, too.
5. Optimise Your CV With Added Sections
Have you got some space left at the bottom of your CV? Feel an itch to express yourself and list your favourite anime? Or perhaps your mind has gone blank after I gave you that traumatic Thermodynamics flashback in the last section?
There is a right way to do bonus CV sections. It’s rooted in relevance. If it doesn’t pertain to the job, show your ability to multitask, or doesn’t show your ambition and drive—leave it off.
Use clear, separate headings instead of throwing everything together:
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies and Interests (Despising thermodynamics doesn’t qualify)
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
This is how:
Entry Level Mechanical Engineering CV Example—Extra Sections
One last thing. Attach a mechanical engineer cover letter to your CV. It’s the easiest way to explain your motivation and engineering interests.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
To make sure your application can withstand the stress testing:
- Apply the CV format guidelines—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Use our entry level mechanical engineering CV sample and add your own information.
- Ace your job description with achievements and numbers.
- Split up certifications, skills and other bonus sections properly.
- Write a cover letter.
Still not fully clear how to write a great entry level mechanical engineering CV? Did our engineering CV examples for students? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.