Your vocation is to diagnose and alleviate suffering. Let’s heal your doctor CV of any pathologies and give your career a prognosis of success.
Why is it so hard?
You understand and design circuits that would give most people migraines.
But writing an electrical engineering CV makes your teeth click.
You don’t know which things employers care about.
Take heart. Plug in the right discrete components and your job search will light up like a Christmas tree.
In this guide:
- An electrical engineering CV sample better than most.
- How to write a CV for electrical engineering jobs that works.
- How to fine-tune the electrical engineering job description in your CV.
- Why you can’t just list electrical engineering skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning CV with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my CV now
In the wrong discipline? See our guides:
- Engineering CV
- Electrician CV
- Civil Engineer CV
- Mechanical Engineer CV
- Entry Level Mechanical Engineer CV
- Technical CV
- Network Engineer CV
- Software Engineer CV
- Internship CV
- Engineering Student CV
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV examples for over 200 jobs.
Electrical Engineering CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Licenced electrical engineer with 4+ years of experience. Seeking to increase efficiency by 25% at Aitchersys Ltd. At Terrtamil NDC, designed electrical circuits that created a 30% efficiency boost to our assembly and installation process. Worked to client requirements to slash costs 15%, resulting in £50M in new contracts and work.
Licenced Electrical Engineer — Texas PE&LS
- Used CAD to plan, design, and develop electrical systems and installation processes for critical broadcast equipment.
- Re-developed electrical circuits for scientific instruments. Worked with operators to achieve 30% efficiency increase.
- Gathered requirements from clients to cut costs 15%. Contributed to additional awards of £50M in new contracts.
- Programmed 50+ assembly-line machine processes with PLC.
Assistant Plant Engineer
- Reverse-engineered popular bluetooth keyboard. Product achieved 4.5 star Amazon rating and £30M in revenue.
- Used CAD to assist with development of circuits for 15 keyboards.
- Helped write & test 25 keyboard drivers with Linux with 20% less errors.
MSE Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University
Completed a 15-credit project to reverse-engineer a smartphone
University of Houston
Pursued a passion for CAD and PLC coursework.
- CAD - Autodesk
- PLC - PLC Technician Training Centre
- Member, IEEE. Mentor 20 electrical engineers per year.
- 2019 IEEE Conference. Gave session on CAD.
- Avid road cyclist.
Hard Skills: CAD design, circuit development, reverse engineering, Linux, PLC
Soft Skills: communication, interpersonal skills, efficiency
Here’s how to write an electrical engineering CV that gets jobs:
1. Choose Your Electrical Engineering CV Format
Let’s lay the groundwork.
CV formatting matters to employers.
Do it wrong, and your electrical engineer CV will wind up in the waste bin.
Use these tips to start off right:
Electrical Engineering CV Format
- Create a 1-page CV unless you’ve had a long career.
- Add negative space and 1-inch margins to make your CV easy to read.
- List past jobs in reverse-chronological order.
- Use one good CV font like 10–12pt Garamond or Arial.
- Add these common CV sections: Heading, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Send a PDF CV. PDFs don’t degrade across different devices.
2. Write an Electrical Engineering CV Objective or Summary
Most recruiters spend six seconds with a CV.
You can get more time for yours.
It’s a short overview that gets attention.
- One adjective (licenced, results-driven)
- The title “electrical engineer”
- Years of experience (3+, 4+)
- Who & how you’ll help (increase efficiency by 25% at Aitchersys)
- Best electrical engineering moments (slashed costs 15%...)
Psst—write it last to zap the stress.
These engineer CV examples show the diagram:
Electrical Engineering CV Summary—Example
That first sample crackles with details.
An electrical engineering CV with no experience must show achievements too.
Entry-Level Electrical Engineering CV Objective
The second of those entry-level electrical engineering CV examples is a dud.
The first shows drive and competence—with proof.
Engineers won’t read your CV. Recruiters will. So—
It’s critical to show you’ve helped the bottom line.
Expert Hint: Writing an entry-level electrical engineer CV? Give serious thought to getting your EIT certification. Princeton has a great guide on how to get it here.
3. Recharge Your Electrical Engineering Job Description and Skills Section
Most electrical engineering CVs are generic.
Dodge that, and you’ll stand out like Albert Macovski.
To write a great electrical engineering job description:
- Look in the job ad for the right CV skills.
- Those are your CV keywords. List times you used them.
- Add numbers to show your work mattered.
- Look again at step #3. Believe it! Recruiters with no engineering knowledge will hire you (or not). You must show them how you moved the needle.
Do it like the first of these electrical engineer CV samples:
The job ad wants these electrical engineering skills: CAD, developing circuits, gathering requirements, PLC.
Electrical Engineering Job Description for CV [Sample]
The second of those electrical engineering CV examples lacks:
- The skills in the job ad.
- Numbers for scale.
Other than that, it’s the same CV.
This entry-level CV sample does the same thing:
The job ad wants these electrical engineering skills: reverse-engineering, CAD, Linux.
Entry-Level Electrical Engineering CV Job Description [Sample]
Applicant #2 had the right components and didn’t instal them.
Remember—use their skills, plus numbers for evidence.
Start with these electrical engineering CV skills:
Electrical Engineering CV Skills
Microcontrollers (PIC, 8051, etc.)
Programming Languages (C, Java)
Expert Hint: What certifications look best on an electrical engineer CV? CAD and safety can help. But make sure your chosen employer cares about them.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
Here’s a tip:
If you’ve got lots of experience, your education can get by with school, degree, and dates.
An electrical engineering student CV must stretch its CV education section.
- Academic projects
- Favourite classes
- Awards or fellowships
- Relevant coursework
Follow this electrical engineering CV sample:
Electrical Engineering CV Example—Education
Expert Hint: Boeing, Lockheed Martin, IBM, Google, Apple, and GE are hiring electrical engineers. For more, search “electrical engineering jobs” + [your location]. Then click Google’s big blue bar.
5. Add Your Licence to Your Electrical Engineering CV
“Is he licenced?”
Don’t make employers ask that.
Put your licence under your electrical engineering CV summary where they’ll see it.
Add other sections to show you’re no mere robot.
Try a couple of these:
- Association memberships (IEEE, IAENG)
- Conferences (especially if you spoke at them)
- Programming languages (Linux, Java, C)
- Certifications (PLC, CAD, safety)
- Foreign languages
- Groups & clubs
- Freelance work
- Personal projects
- Additional activities
These electrical engineering CV examples show the schematic:
Electrical Engineering CV—Extra Sections
Night & day.
They’ll fight to hire the first of those electrical engineering CV examples.
Expert Hint: Add a cover letter to your CV. CVs for electrical engineers without cover letters have more than a 40% chance of getting skipped.
For an electrical engineering CV that flows:
- Use the electrical engineering CV template up top. It plugs in your best career moments to get you hired.
- Source CV keywords from the electrical engineering job description online.
- Write these CV sections: summary, licence, experience, education, and skills. Pack them with proof you’ve already done their job.
- Add other sections to show you’re a living, breathing human being.
- Write a engineering cover letter to increase your odds of getting invited for an interview
Got questions on how to write great CVs for electrical engineering jobs? Want to know how your electrical engineer CV can stand out from the crowd? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!