A student CV template that will land you a first job interview. See an example student CV. Follow expert advice on CV format for student CV.
Below, you’ll find the perfect auto mechanic CV sample.
But hang on—
Why do you need a great CV for mechanic jobs?
Because of this nightmare:
There are 770,100 automotive tech jobs out there.
That’ll shrink by 1% in 10 years, while other careers are growing.
Plus you’ve got to deal with flat-rates and owning your own tools. Ugh!
Your CV has to purr like a Ferrari to get a mechanic job you’ll actually like.
Don’t fret. It’s not as hard as working on an Audi Allroad. You just need the right parts.
In this guide:
- An auto mechanic CV sample better than most.
- How to write a mechanic CV that gets the job.
- How to customise your mechanic job description for CVs.
- Why you can’t just list mechanic skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Not that kind of mechanic? See these guides:
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Examples for Over 200 Jobs.
Mechanic CV Sample You Can Copy and Adapt
Energetic auto mechanic and ASE Master Tech with 3+ years of experience troubleshooting and repairing 3,100+ vehicles. Seeking to provide excellent service at Marsh Motors. Maintained 99% quality control compliance at New River Auto Repair.
2019—ASE Master Tech
2020—Snap-on Tools Certification
New River Auto Repair
- Troubleshot and repaired 3,100+ automobiles to date with 93% customer satisfaction and 99% quality control compliance.
- Repaired all makes of foreign and domestic cars, including Ford, Chevy, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Toyota, Subaru, and more.
- Used diagnostic equipment to diagnose problems, including OBD2 and proprietary Honda and Subaru tools.
- Diagnosed and repaired electrical, HVAC, engine cooling, and vehicle timing on 1,500+ vehicles.
- Performed all types of vehicle repair, including transmission overhauls, brakes, suspension and body work, and electrical repair.
- Worked directly with 50+ customers each week.
- Performed work according to in-house real-time work scheduling system to assist with 30% increase in customer satisfaction.
Freelance Automotive Mechanic
- Worked on an average of 3 vehicles per week for 2 years.
- Performed all levels of repairs, including collision, drive drain, engine, electrical, exhaust, cooling, and lubrication systems.
- Grew client list by 30% in 14 months through good word of mouth.
Automotive Repair, New River Community University, VA
- Averaged 87% on ASE Master Technician tests.
- Excelled in automobile and collision repair.
Blacksburg High School, Blacksburg, VA
- ASE Association Member.
- Fix 10+ inboard & outboard boat motors per week in summer.
Hard Skills: OBD2 scanner, computer diagnostics, manual diagnostics, Work Orders software
Soft Skills: strong work ethic, problem solving, customer service, time management
Here’s how to write a workable auto mechanic CV:
1. Choose the Best Auto Mechanic CV Format
Most shop managers will torch a sloppy auto or diesel mechanic CV.
Don’t let ‘em do it to you.
Give your CV format a fighting chance with these tips:
Mechanic CV Format
- Make a one-page CV length.
- Choose a CV font like 11–14pt Cambria or Trebuchet.
- Set 1-inch margins and add white space so shop managers can read your work.
- Write CV sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Put your job history in reverse-chronological CV form.
- Remember: PDF CVs work great on laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
Expert Hint: The US Bureau of Labour Statistics says auto mechanic jobs will drop by 1% in the next decade. To get a job in today’s dog-eat-dog job market, your auto CV for mechanic positions needs a pleasing format and a targeted CV objective.
2. Write an Auto Mechanic CV Objective or Summary
The shop manager just bookmarked your CV for mechanic jobs.
Why? Because you grabbed him with your perfect auto mechanic CV objective.
- An adjective (hard-working, efficient)
- “Mechanic” (or “ASE Master Tech”)
- Years of experience (1+, 4+)
- Who and how you’ll help (provide excellent service at Marsh Motors)
- Best CV achievements (99% quality control compliance...)
But—save it until the rest of your CV is finished.
See these auto mechanic CV examples:
Mechanic CV Summary—Example
The second of those mechanic CV samples needs body work. It says you can repair cars. It says your quality control score is high. But—
The first shows 3,100+ vehicles repaired and a 99% QC score.
But what if your knuckles are still scar-free?
If you’re a brand new automotive tech, see this entry-level CV for mechanic jobs:
Entry-Level Mechanic CV Objective
The second of those entry-level mechanic CV examples ain’t bad.
But “ain’t bad” won’t get you a paycheck.
You need metrics like the first example.
3. Customise Your Mechanic Job Description and Skills Section
What mechanic skills belong in your CV?
See this list:
Auto Mechanic CV Skills
Work Orders Software
But think about it:
If you list all the skills, they’ll think you’re blowing smoke.
Write a customised CV tuned to the job description.
Work them in like the first of these auto mechanic CV samples:
This example job wants skills in troubleshooting, foreign, OBD2, and electrical systems.
Mechanic Job Description for a CV [Sample]
One of those mechanic CV examples has transmission issues.
The first works like an OEM part.
To make the second one, we ruined it by stripping out the numbers and matching skills.
What if you’re a new mechanic?
CVs with no experience can use freelance work and transferable skills.
See these auto mechanic CV examples with no experience:
Say the job wants collision repair, and customer service.
Entry-Level Hairstylist CV Job Description [Sample]
Let’s look under the bonnet.
The first of those mechanic CV samples has never had a mechanic job. But—
Even working on cars for friends and family can help you get an entry-level job.
Expert Hint: If you believe Reddit, auto mechanics hate their jobs, because of flat rate pay and owning their own tools. But a study by PayScale found auto mechanics were actually in the top 10 for job satisfaction. Still, a targeted CV for mechanic jobs can skip you past a lot of horrendous automotive technician jobs.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Tune Up Your Education Section
You don’t need to be an ASE Master Tech to get a job.
In that case, do you even need an education section in your CV?
Instal the right parts to land the interview.
Do it like this diesel mechanic CV sample:
Mechanic CV Example—Education
Let’s break that down.
If you know they want a certain mechanic skill, and you can show you rocked it in your education section, go for it.
It’s just one more reason for the shop manager to hire you.
5. Add After-Market Sections to Auto Mechanic CVs
We’re almost ready to roll out. But—
Let’s make the shop owner notice you.
By proving you’re not just an interchangeable lug.
Here are a few extras you can add:
- Certifications (ASE, Snap-on)
- Employee awards
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
See these diesel mechanic CV examples:
Auto Mechanic CVs—Other Sections
Is there anything wrong with hunting or fishing?
Not at all.
But it’s better to say you’re in a hunting club or fishing derbies and add even more achievements.
Meanwhile, the first of those diesel mechanic CV samples leaves no doubt.
Expert Hint: Create a cover letter for your CV for mechanic jobs. Talk about your understanding of the shop’s needs, then show you’ve done a few things like that before.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a mechanic CV:
- Start with a workable auto mechanic CV template. Add your own mechanic achievements to the bullet points.
- Include mechanic skills like diagnostics or lift work. Be careful to add numbers that measure your success.
- Write an auto mechanic CV objective that works like a mini-version of your CV.
- Add other CV sections like certifications or volunteering to show you’re not a bad hiring risk.
Got questions on how to write good CVs for mechanic jobs? Not sure how to put mechanic on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!